Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chinoiserie and the French




The French have always embraced chinoiserie styles and Asian style . Many French homes have elements of chinoiserie /Asian style. I love that also--maybe that is why I am so enamored of French style.


Last time I was in New York I made my usual pilgrimage to the Met to visit the Wrightsman rooms (French furniture) and the Sevres porcelain area. I discovered these delightful examples of chinoiserie and took a few photos (without flash) to enjoy later. Chinoiserie usually has a fanciful element to it. If you love it like I do visit Beth Connolly's blog Chinoiserie Chic for the most informative and creative way to learn about chinoiserie.


Any of these pieces would look right at home in a modern or a traditional French setting. These examples always bring a smile-- there is just something so joyful about them.!Who doesn't need as many smiles and as much joy as we can hold close right now?




Have a PINK day!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous examples-thanks so much for the mention of Chinoiserie Chic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails