Monday, February 1, 2010

An American in Paris---- moi!!




The first time I went to Paris I hit all the regular tourist sites--they were fun. But I also wanted to see other things not everyone sees. I love French art and architecture and wanted to see the inside of the American Ambassador's Home--the boiserie ( wood paneling walls) are so pretty in it. I had seen just a tiny photo of one of the main rooms in a magazine.


So several months before the trip I wrote to the American Ambassador asking to visit and take some photos. The ambassador's secretary responded and set a time-- all I had to do was show up with my passport.

I don't think they will do this type of thing any longer--after September 11 th things are much tighter security wise. I was lucky to get in and she let me wander about the main rooms and take photos of the walls and the art work!! Most of the art was on loan from the Louvre and other museums and much of it was French Impressionism!! What a treat to see them in a real room. The Ambassador and his family were out in the back garden-- we could see them through the French doors. As soon as I got home I sent a thank you note.

So think outside the box on trips--what do you want to see that maybe everyone else doesn't? It can't hurt to ask or to do some research prior to going to find unique shops or museums. With the Internet all that planning is so much easier now. I am off to dream about another trip.

Have a PINK day!


1 comment:

  1. I think, I pretty sure, I think....that I'm wanting to make a trip to Paris and finally see this enigmatic place that shares my tastes in so many things....is there any way recommended to visit this place? it is one place I'd rather do with a guide of some sort, for the first time in my life, but that would be a miracle to find one who would cater to all I wanted to see and translate for me...but I must begin my quest.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails