Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cherry blossom time is near-Hanami




I am so lucky to live not far from Macon, Georgia and the annual cherry blossom festival there.

Some years I don't get to go but this year I am going for sure!! Macon actually has more Yoshino cherry trees than Washington, D.C. and Macon goes all out for the festival. One woman dies her white standard poodle pink for it! I am told the pink dye washes out and doesn't hurt the dog. Macon has about 300,000 Yoshino trees.


When you drive down a street in Macon that is lined on both sides with Yoshino's in bloom it is rather other worldly-- people tend to whisper and walk or drive slowly-almost in awe of the beauty. In Japanese it is called Hanami the viewing of the cherry trees and it is a major cultural event there. Photos above are from BBG web site.

One day I would like to go to Washington, D.C. and see them there . And this year the Brooklyn Botanical Garden has its cherry blossom festival May 1 and 2. They have many other Japanese events going on at the same time. I want to go see the trees of course and to see the Japanese dancers show in the photo above. It will be a real treat to participate in two Hanami!!


Up close one sees the blossoms are a light pink but when light is on the tree it appears almost white and very ethereal and cloud-like.

Have a PINK day!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see Macon's festival. I'm crazy about Cherry trees, but I can't grow my favorite - the Kwanzan - because it's too cold in the Catskills.

    I've been to the one at the BBG and it is in fact magical!

    The one in Washington DC I missed by a week ;-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails