Monday, July 12, 2010

A short visit to Versailles



One day of our vacation in Paris we took the RER train to Versailles. It is the easiest and cheapest way to get there-- all of about 40 miles away and I believe it was 3.60 E each way! Who says there are no bargains in Paris?!!

Every time I go I am so amazed that I can walk through the palace and touch the door knobs that Louis XIV and Louis XVI touched. It really does bring history home in a very personal way.

This is the big statue of Louis XIV that greets you as you approach the big gates. I find it so indicative of the era.

Here is the warrior King astride his fierce mount. He is in charge, he is the embodiment of France and God and I walk around to the back and is that.. .yes it is...!! A pert little bow on his horsie's behind! Even back then " style" was so important, the attention to detail, the grooming!

Am I the only one to focus on this? No one else was even looking at the statue all were rushing to the gates.

We shall continue our visit tomorrow with a peek at Marie Antoinette's private apartments

Have a PINK day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie,
    I have an award for you at my blog, I hope you can pop over to my blog. I adore your blog I have to say !!! I got your email last week marie, sorry I havent replied, its school holidays here and its a bit crazy; not a lot of `me time`!!! Have a lovely day,
    Laura,
    summerhouselc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails