Friday, July 30, 2010

Apple harvest




We have a few apples trees on our tiny little lot. We get enough apples each year to make a large pie! It is so fun to pick them and then make a pie and I tell everyone it is made with apples from our trees!! I am the same way with our tomatoes and herbs and peppers and radishes from the potager garden.

I learned this year about making a potager --I over planted in my excitement of having a vegetable garden. Next spring only yellow and a few red tomatoes six sounds right and then my other veggies will grow better.

I am happy with the radishes I planted. My favorite is the watermelon radishes very spicy Asian radish that looks like a watermelon. So cute and PINK.


Maybe next year I can find a source for pink tomatoes Burpee had them but wouldn't sell them to me for some reason--maybe too hot here in the South.
I had to use last year's pie photo as we ate the pie before we remembered to take a picture! Are we piggies or what?
I use a short dough recipe for pie crust from Jim Dodge's The American Baker cookbook or any good pie crust will work.
Here is the pie recipe it is from pastry chef Bill Yosses at the White House :
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 lbs apples- Gala Granny Smith, McIntosh are all good ones peeled and cored into wedges
1/2 cup honey ( your area's local honey is best)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
grated zest and juice of one lemon
1 egg white
Sift all dry stuff together in a large saucepan -mix with apples and let sit 20 minutes
bring mixture to a boil over medium heat stirring occasionally till it thickens, remove from heat and let it cool
Pour into pre-baked bottom pie shell then seal top of unbaked top dough to bottom shell with egg whites
Pierce top shell or make a pretty shape - hearts maybe? Brush top of pie with egg and water mixture I also sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.
Bake for 30-40 minutes

Have a PINK day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails