Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Gilded Study--was it really a gilded life?


Today we see the Gilded Study or Le Cabinet Dore which is Marie Antoinette's largest private room in Versailles. She played with her children here and posed for paintings and practised her music. It was redecorated in 1783 by Richard Mique her architect.


No creepy feelings in this bright room just a cleaner style due to the homage paid to the discovery of Pompeii . Most of the pieces in the room did belong to Marie Antoinette.

Marie Antoinette used these rooms to escape the never ending company of the royal court and servants -- we think of movie stars with entourages --she had an even bigger one all the time. I always feel sorry for her when I think of her giving birth in front of so many people-- such a private moment made so public. The Royal couple were the stars of their own reality show just minus the TV cameras--they had live people watching everything.

Have a PINK day!

1 comment:

  1. I don't envy that part of being famous at all. I enjoy my privacy way too much! The study however is lovely and I could happily have one of those! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails