Saturday, July 17, 2010

Every Palace needs a grand gate....right?



Versailles is going through a 20 year restoration project begun in 2005. The "new gates" were installed in 2008 at a cost of about $5 million. The other renovations that are on going include: steps to make the palace safer, warmer, and streamline guest entrances, repair large areas of roof and replace around 500 window frames.

The new/old gate was touted as an exact replica of the gate constructed in the 1680's under the reign of Louis XIV. This wording has irked many in the art and architecture worlds. "How do they know it is exact?" came the cries from The Art Tribune and other scholarly sources? It certainly is bright and some would even say gaudy.
Voltaire described Versailles "as a masterpiece of bad taste and magnificence" so the bright gate seems to fit into this way of thinking.
Sooner than later we will see these shiny gates dull with pollution and our eyes will adjust (just like they did with the pyramid at the Louvre) and we will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Have a PINK day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what a gorgeous blog you have! I found it very interesting that you had "weird" feelings in Marie's room. I never heard the story of the mirror and her not seeing her head.

    I too get strange feelings in various places, particularly old buildings. I doubt I will ever get the chance to go to France but I was thrilled to see it through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more quick note, I'm following your blog now! I just love Marie Antoinette and your blog is so beautiful! I also added a link to my sidebar! I hope my readers visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY PINK SATURDAY MARIE,
    BEAUTIFUL POST.
    IT IS FUNNY PAM POSTED BEFORE ME...I WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU HER BLOG URL TO HOP OVER TO...SHE IS SHOWING THE STUNNING MARIE ANTOINETTE PURSE SHE MADE. I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT OF YOU.
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying reading about your trip. BTW - I email and e-invitation recently. Did you receive it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog from a comment on Grace's blog.....I am so glad I did....I really needed a visit to Paris this morning.....I am going to come back to see more....I didn't get to visit Versailles on my trip to Paris....I really enjoyed your perspective!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that always the way with any 'change' ... the gate is gorgeous & will loose its luster & they'll fume about it needs cleaning.

    Happy PS ~
    Have a lovely weekend ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails