Friday, May 28, 2010

Romance in the French countryside in the 1700's


We know so much about the life at court at Versailles. Including some of what the court women and men did for amusement. How they made the art of conversation exciting and sometimes laced with romance and innuendo. Women flirting behind their folding hand fans and dropping hankie's so men will pick them up.


When I think of that time frame I conjure images of richly attired women and men prancing around in the meadows and gardens teasing each other and playing silly games like hide and seek and blind man's bluff. My antique fan that I purchased many years ago in London is a scene of aristocrats playing blind man's bluff and the era it depicts is roughly 1780 or early 1800's. It is a French fan and signed > I treasure it not for value but for the beauty and the marvelous fact that I could own such a beautiful item from so long ago.


It seems in some ways a more innocent time although history has shown us it was not and that that the very lucky few enjoyed a richness of life and goods that most only dreamed about. But when I look at my old fan and see those handsome ladies and gentlemen playing --oh how I long ,for just a few minutes, to be in that era playing outside such a silly game. They were creating their own pink living back then to amuse themselves and block out grim reality of life .

My pink living is perhaps a touch of that but also just a celebration of pink, of happiness, of making everyday life more beautiful in any way I can.


Have a PINK day!

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful framed piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice treasure. Fans are beautiful, there is a fan museum in Paris. They were used for all sorts of signals - I would have constantly worried about sending out the wrong ones!!
    I love your idea of making everyday life more beautiful - I agree 100%
    Happy weekend to you,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you for taking me on such a lovely trip this morning! Isn't it amazing how the mind can just drift back to another time?
    Have Happy Pink Saturday and I
    I hope you enjoy your weekend!
    Don't forget to add a flirtatious game of hide and seek, just make sure that they don't think you have gone bonkers!
    Come over to the Forest and join my giveaway!
    Sparkly Hugs,
    Tobi and The Pixies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails