Saturday, August 28, 2010

Edith The Lonely Doll finds a new home with me!


Happy Pink Saturday and welcome to my very pink happy post!

As a child I was sort of reserved- - I am basically a shy person even now. My childhood consisted of reading a lot and playing with my dolls and a doll house I made out of an old steel bathroom cabinet. There were not a lot of kids to play with in my neighborhood so I retreated into my own world of play and imagination.

One of my favorite books is The Lonely Doll by Dare Wright. It is still in print. I wanted the Edith doll so much. Dare had purchased a Lenci felt doll and changed her and named her Edith and Edith had many adventures in her books all photographed in black and white by Dare herself. Dare, as I have read about her as an adult, had an odd life and was an enigma.

In 1997 a doll company called Haut Milton made 750 felt Edith dolls so very like the one in the books. I wanted one so badly. She wears pink gingham and the cover of the first book was a pink gingham cover also.

Well, finances in 1997 would not allow me to buy Edith and the 750 dolls quickly went to new homes. I even wrote years later to Haut Milton asking them to make a few more- -no answer.

I searched EBay and doll sites for her all the time. And a few weeks ago I found her !! A brand new in the box Edith!! A doll store owner bought two in 1997 and held on to this one to sell. I wanted her so much.

Everyday I would look at the web site photos. I mentioned this to Pink Boy and he just laughed at me, "No way would I ever pay that much for a doll!" Edith has gone way up, up in price like a blue chip stock!! I was contemplating calling the doll shop and asking if I could put her on layaway and pay her off very slowly.

A few days ago Pink Boy said he had my anniversary gift early and no place to store it--too big he said. He asked do I want it early? I said OK. The box when he brought it in was not so big --"Oh, I misjudged the size" says Pink Boy. I thought it was an Ipad in a big box. It was Edith nestled in her pink gingham box!! I have cried so much no tears left.
I am so,so happy to have her finally after all these years. I will treasure her forever. What a wonderful gift!
Happy Pink Saturday to all readers please click on Beverly's link here: http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/06/so-just-what-is-pink-saturday.html
I am featuring Marian at The Shabby Pink GIrl :http://www.thatshabbypinkgirl.blogspot.com/
She is thinking already of Christmas also.
And visit some other blogs with a PINK theme today!

Have a PINK day!


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! What a wonderful story and the sweetest anniversary gift!!!


    http://jojos-joys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great man you've got. So glad you've got your Edith doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have wanted one of her for years! She is so sweet! Enjoy her!
    Hugs, lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you must love Edith so much! I love her, too!

    Pink Boy is a keeper, for sure!!!!!!!!!!!111

    Deborah in NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Pink Saturday, Marie. Thank you for making Pink Saturday special, and for taking part in this day of celebration and thanks.

    There truly are miracles going on all around us every day. We just have to open our hearts in acceptance.

    Thank you for sharing you sweet Edith doll with us. I am inspired by the love Pink Boy has for you.

    I'm still hoping to reach my goal of 200 comments by midnight tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails