Sunday, October 24, 2010

Soup for supper







Cooler weather makes me hungry for soup. I love to make soups. When Pink Boy was working and then playing racquet ball the other evening I decided to make soup and set a fall table (not a pink plate or glass in sight) and surprise him when he got home. Part of my philosophy of pink living is to make things special, celebrate the beauty in everyday, show love. Home made soup to me means love!



I made cream of yellow pepper soup a recipe I got from Victoria magazine many years ago. It is a favorite and I always make it for Thanksgiving--when I try another soup I hear about it so I always go back to this one. It is a rich creamy soup not spicy unless you add a lot of pepper or cayenne.



I got the two white soup tureens at Homegoods last month 4.99 each could only find two. The pumpkin tureen is several years old and the place mats are actually Le Jacquard Francais tea towels in Autumn colors with an Asian motif. I love using jacquard tea towels as place mats and I also use them in picnic baskets , for dusting since they are not linty, and have recovered stools with them or chair seats and made aprons out of them. Le Jacquard Francais is wonderful bright vivid colors, many themes for the prints. Just fun and stylish. Great hostess gift too.






Cream of Yellow Pepper Soup a la Victoria magazine






4 yellow pepper



1 large onion



2 T olive oil



1/2 c dry white wine



4 cups chicken or vegetable stock



1 T. chopped garlic



1 cup heavy cream



1/4 cup sifted flour



Saute onions in olive oil in a covered deep pan for about 10 min till onion sweat and become clear Add wine and sliced up yellow peppers -simmer for about 5-10 minutes covered. Add warm broth to this alone with garlic and simmer for about 10 min more..



Pour mixture through a colander over a soup pan reserving all liquid in a the soup pot. Puree onion/pepper mixture in food processor till very smooth add back into broth mixture.


Slowly add heavy cream into the sifted flour then add some of the stock slowly into the flour mixture then add all to the soup pot stirring slowly or using an immersion blended if you want.



You can garnish this with herbs, bits of red beet or just a bit of pepper. I use the pink peppercorns just to make it pretty.



I serve it with French bread or Italian garlic bread toasted.



Have a PINK day!



1 comment:

  1. This sounds great...I've gotten many really great recipes from those old Victoria magazines! Your table looks so pretty. Isn't the presentation half the fun, especially for the people that are most important to you! At our house a good bowl of soup, some crusty bread and a bottle of wine makes the best evening!
    --Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails