Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ikigai


One day I will get to Japan. I love Japanese art and I love to see photos of the Japanese countryside. I feel like I "know" it like I should be there, just as I feel that way when I am in Paris. So until I make it to Japan I try to learn things about the country and the people and the arts.

Watching the Dr. Oz show the other day he was focusing on how the Japanese relieve stress and how they have Ikigai -- a sense of purpose/focus. It is a bit similar to the French raison d'etre only the Japanese hold this belief --that everyone has a hidden ikigai and finding it will make your life more meaningful , less stressful, connect you to nature . It seems that the Japanese also realize that life is about balance-- we are not defined by our jobs or our wealth but by balance in all areas of life, making connections with others and with nature.


As someone looking for a new career path in some small way I am also seeking that balance and fulfillment. I love to garden and be in the garden. I love to look at other people's gardens and public gardens. I think that might be a big part of my ikigai.


Also appreciating art in the many forms that can take is also a big part of my reason for living and balance in life.

Aren't we all seeking these things at some point or through out our lives?

So my Japanese gold fish-there are two above Spot and Sushi and my Japanese style pond, my garden and my love of beauty and art are all part of my balance. Of course, my balance or raison d'etre is also pink!


Have a PINK day!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog entry! Wish I would have caught that Dr. Oz myself. Ahhh, to create balance can be tricky. I'm finding as I age it is a vitally important aspect of life. I'm getting closer....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails