Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Love the birds, feed the birds




Birds are an important part of life around here. Not only do we have indoor pink Bourke's parakeets but we have a garden full of birds all year. The garden is a certified Audubon Habitat --meaning that it offers food, shelter, water, plants that birds need and a natural environment for them.




We have humming birds zooming around so much sometimes they almost hit me. All year long we see cardinals, and chickadees and titmouse's and bluebirds and blue jays the list goes on and on.




I never tire of watching them and it is such a delight for me to have time to truly look at them. I make the hummingbird food myself. The packaged kind you buy that is red is not good. The red dye is not good for them. The food must be changed if it is not used quickly as mold can develop and hurt the birds. Years ago a hummer flew into my shop and stunned itself by hitting a glass window. Debbie and I got to hold it and watch it revive before letting it go again. It sure was hard to let it go . It barely weighed anything in my hand! A real miracle of avian engineering !




Pink Boy bought this feeder for me in France and we put it up near our front entryway . We want all the birds to find us and enjoy some food.




Have a PINK day!

1 comment:

  1. That is so wonderful. My husband spends a lot of time "tending" the birds and they provide us with so much entertainment.

    What a nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails